Updated: Mar 20, 2020
Fall may be over but that doesn't mean you can't still make this sweet Pumpkin Swiss Roll. It has all the comforting flavors and aromatics of the season rolled into a beautiful dessert. I made it for my office potluck party and it was a hit :) Enjoy and leave a comment if you try this recipe!
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin puree (I used Trader Joe's)
Optional: powdered sugar (to sprinkle on at the end!)
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
1 (8 ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10x15 jelly pan
Mixing bowls & utensils
Preheat the oven to 375º Feranheit
Make the pumpkin cake batter
1.In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice/ cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves until combined and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar for about 1 minute until thick. Add in vanilla and pumpkin puree. Then fold in the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Cover the jelly roll pan with parchment paper, leaving 1" of extra paper on the ends of the pan (you can put flour on the pan before placing the paper on top to prevent sticking). Evenly spread the batter on the parchment paper.
3. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the cake bounces back after touching it
4. Once cake is done carefully lift the parchment paper out of the pan and place onto a heat safe and flat surface. Quickly and carefully roll up the cake until it forms a complete roll, then place on a wire cooling rack.
Make the cream cheese filling while the cake cools
1. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and soft butter in a bowl. Stir until smooth. If the filling is too thick add half a teaspoon of water until the desired consistency. If the filling is too thin, add more powdered sugar (you dont want to make the filling too thin or warm or it will ooze out of the pumpkin roll).
2. Keep refrigerated until next step
5. Once the cake has reached room temperature, gingerly transfer the cake roll to a flat surface and unroll it.
6. Spread cream cheese filling evenly over cake leaving 3/4 of an inch border. Then carefully re-roll the cake while peeling the parchment off as you go. Tightly wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap.
7. Refrigerate for one hour until chilled .
8. When you're ready remove the roll from fridge, unwrap, and with powdered sugar.
9. Take a small slice off ends to see cream cheese swirl. Continue slicing and serve!
*The roll will last five days in the fridge and up to three months in the freezer*